What are the requirements to become a real estate agent?
- Pre-licensing education (60 hours)
- Provide passport quality photo (2” x 2”) to the school
- Pass the PSI Exam
- Fingerprints and pass background check
- Apply to DPOR and pay the application fee
Is there a difference between a real estate agent and a Realtor?
Yes. A real estate agent is someone who holds an active real estate license (Licensee). A Realtor is a real estate licensee who is also a member of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR).
Do I have to be a Realtor to provide real estate sales services?
No, you don’t have to be a Realtor, however it is strongly encouraged. To provide sales services, you have to be a licensed real estate agent in active status.
Do I have to join NAR (National Association of Realtors) to practice real estate?
No, but if you join NAR and the local chapters of NAR, then you will be a Realtor. Therefore, the affiliation with NAR is a volunteer association and is not a requirement to practice real estate brokerage.
NAR and the local chapters provide very valuable services which are essential in facilitating the practice of real estate sales. As a Realtor you have to abide by the NAR CODE OF ETHICS.
Do you offer online classes?
Yes, we offer online classes, Click Here
What is the cost of the classes?
Online classes are:
There are two options
1) Virginia Real Estate Principles Classes
2) Virginia Real Estate Principles Classes plus the Virginia PSI Exam Prep
For the cost Click Here
In-classroom classes are:
There are several options for in classroom education, the cost depends on the package chosen.
For the cost Click Here
Where are the in-classroom courses held?
46179 Westlake Drive, Suite 200, Sterling, VA 20165, or at an announced location prior to the scheduled date
When are the in-classroom courses being held?
There are 5 individual sessions throughout the year; any one of these sessions will satisfy the state requirements for pre-licensing education (60 hours). Each session lasts for 5 weeks
- Session 1: Starts on the first Monday in February
- Session 2: Starts on the first Monday in April
- Session 3: Starts on the first Monday in June
- Session 4: Starts on the first Monday in August
- Session 5: Starts on the first Monday in October
Classes are held every Monday and Thursday (6:00 pm to 9:00 pm) and every Saturday (9:00 am to 4:00 pm, with an hour break for lunch)
What is the PSI Exam Preparation Day?
PSI Exam Prep Day is an entire day (9:00 am-5:00 pm) on the first Saturday following each session. It is dedicated to helping the students in preparing for the national and state exams. A student can sign up for the PSI Exam Prep Day with or without being enrolled in the 60 hour course. It does not come as part of the 60 hour course and you need to register for it separately.
How do I sign up for classes?
- Online classes: enroll here
- For in-classroom courses;
What are my payment options?
- online; pay using credit card
- in person; pay by check, cash, or credit card,
- For other payment arrangements, please call (703) 444-3820.
Can I purchase the books separately? What books do I need for the class?
The books required for the classes are:
- Modern Real Estate Practice (19th edition) and
- Virginia Practice and Law (10th edition).
Both of these books are available for purchase online Real Estate Bookstore in various forms and bundles.
Also, the students have the option to pick up the books on the first day of the session, provided that they ordered and requested and paid for the books at least one week before the start of the session (this will provide some savings on the shipping cost).