Virginia - Home Inspection State Regulations
State Department: DPOR
Board: Virginia Board for Asbestos, Lead, and Home Inspectors
Address: Perimeter Center
Suite 102 (first floor)
9960 Mayland Drive
Richmond VA 23233
Mailing Address: Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive
Richmond VA 23233-1485
- Home inspection is regulated
- License is required to perform home inspection for a fee
- Bi-annual license renewal cycle
Applicants for licensure are required to complete Board approved Pre-Licensing Courses and obtain Field Training Experience:
Every applicant for an individual home inspector license shall have the following qualifications:
- 1.The applicant shall be at least 18 years old.
- 2. The applicant shall meet the one of the following educational and experience requirements:
- Completed 35 contact hours of board-approved pre-license education and have completed a minimum of 100 home inspections prior to 7/1/2017;
- Completed 35 contact hours of board-approved pre-license education and have completed a minimum of 50 home inspections under the direct supervision of a home inspector;
- Completed 70 contact hours of board-approved pre-license education and have completed a minimum of 50 home inspections;
- Completed 70 contact hours of board-approved contact hours and have completed a minimum of 25 home inspections under the direct supervision of a home inspector; or
- have verification of 10 years’ experience as a home inspector prior to July 1, 2017, with a minimum of 250 home inspections completed during such time period.
Experience: Biannually — A license holder shall have completed 16 contact hours of continuing professional education during each certificate renewal cycle, per 18 VAC 15-40-72.
**A home inspection on a new residential structure shall only be conducted by a home inspector with the NRS (New Residential Structure) specialty and who has completed a training module on the Virginia Residential Code. Licensees wishing to obtain that designation would need to submit the appropriate application to the Board accompanied by proof that they have completed the NRS training module.
Please follow the link to find information on coming changes to the regulations. http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/Boards/ALHI/A506-33REGS_HI.pdf
Exam: The National Home Inspectors Exam
Application and Licensing: Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation